Pages

Tuesday 16 February 2010

Eugh. Why can't I make art for art's sake, or just because I WANT to. Why does it have to be for the purpose of other people to look at? Why can't they look and my finished piece when I'm done with it and enjoy it however it ends up? I grates a bit the amount we're told to consider the people who will be viewing our work, personally I have never worked with the audience in mind. I make art because I like doing it, I enjoy it and I think I'm good at it... If someone else also gets some pleasure out of it, or can see a message or a meaning then that's an added bonus. To me that's not the point of making the art though... Perhaps its just I don't have the commercial angle I should have. I still hold the opinion that I will never get a job as an artist or otherwise, so really I don't see the point in pleasing anyone but myself artwise aside from passing the course. I don't like the restrictions of gallery spaces and other people's expectations. They won't expect to pick up a book, so no matter how hard I work on it, it likely will still only be seen as a glorified sketchbook. Unless I make a song and dance over presenting it, like as an event or some such. But to me, just the making of the book is most important. Having this thing at the end is a really good feeling, but why do I have to think about other people pre conceptions?

Wheelie issue of the day ~ Art gallery displays all being for standing person height. Some are better than others, and pictures on a wall aren't so bad... But plinths are a nightmare. Normally I'll be lucky if I can even see what's on the top, let alone appreciate it properly. Here I am moaning about thinking about presenting my work... but these artists have chosen to think about it, and put their thinking into practice (although I'm not certain of the process) and their thinking seems not to stretch to the vertically challenged. When I DO think about my presentation, my work is all at wheelchair height. Sometimes I wonder if I should bring along a spare wheelchair sometimes for people to see it properly.

There. See my hypocrasy and be frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment